Craft Room Project: Working On Stair Trim

I’m slowly chipping away at my list of things to get done on this project. One tiny, or not so tiny, headache at a time.

In order to get the carpet installed on the stairs going to the basement, I have to trim out those stairs and landings because it was all left completely unfinished beyond the door that used to go to the basement. It really shouldn’t have been a major headache, just a bit more math and angles to figure out.

Of course, it couldn’t actually be that easy.

Between our original builder not giving a big enough gap between the stairs and the walls in places (partly because of slightly bowed walls, part just not quiet measuring correctly) and our contractor building my new closet right up against the edge of the stairs, this became a bit of a nightmare.

The reason for that is that the design of my stairs in the rest of the house has a wide board that sits in that gap between the wall and the stairs to edge out the stairs. When you don’t have enough room, getting that board in place isn’t easy in the least.

The first one, we didn’t have any real problems other than figuring the math and angles, like expected. It went it relatively easy. The second, we ran into issues with a couple of nails that stuck out into that gap from the stairs as well as a super tight fit because one of the stair treads was almost too close to the wall. Putting that one in scraped the hell out of my wall, but it went in.

Middle Section Of Stairs With Side Boards
Middle Section Of Stairs With Side Boards

The third I had to shave off the front corner of the stair tread just to get the board to even come close to fitting, then I had to pound the hell out of it to get it into place. Even then, because it ends right at the edge of the angled wall in my room, I won’t have room for the trim that should go around the outside of that board to finish it off, forcing me to get creative to give that a clean edge when it is all said and done.

The last one? That one is the one where I had no gap. I had to cut that board in the contour of the stairs themselves since I couldn’t slide the board next to them, which was so not fun as the front edge of those stair treads are rounded. It was such a pain in the butt. It was kind of like having to cut my own puzzle piece and expect it to fit perfectly. Thankfully, I figured out how to get the correct shape to make a pattern to cut from. Even that only worked because I had a paper thin gap between the wall and the stairs and I was able to trace it. Shockingly, it worked on the first attempt.

Lower Section Of Stairs With Side Boards
Lower Section Of Stairs With Side Boards

What made all of this even harder was the fact that every single wall had something different that had to be worked out, so every one of them looks a little different, either at the top or the bottom.

I have a huge mess on my walls from bumps and scrapes and these boards will need a lot of touch ups, but they are finally in. I still have to put up the trim along the exposed edges of this to finish those off and put in the floor trim on the landing, but I’m ready for carpet. Thankfully, the top section of this stairway was already finished out, so I only had the two sections.

Today I’m working on that trim. Once that is done, I have to go through my priority list and see if there is anything at all that would prevent me from trimming out the doorway. If not, that is next up and the cats can finally get back into this space again, which is very near the top of my “need to get done asap!” list of things to do.

After that, I switch gears to work on getting MCG’s room ready as she will officially be moving in at the end of this month.