Holiday Project #2: Stockings

And project #2 on my holiday project list is done!

I had really wanted these to be a bit “more” than what they ended up. When I say “more” I mean that I was imagining that they’d have some really cool embellishments added that I could do just a little differently on each to personalize them fore each of us, but I just could not find a single thing that worked. Most likely I would need to do some hand embroidery on these to get the effect that I wanted (something with snowflakes), but I really do not have the time to do all that and still finish my other projects.

For now, I decided to just keep them all simple and the same. I may go back and add the embroidery at a later date or even add a little something to each one every year. I haven’t quite decided yet what I want to do, but this gives me stockings for everyone this year, which was my main goal.

*I will not go look at embroidery machines! I will not even consider an embroidery machine! Please, brain! SHUT UP!!!*

Other than that little bit of extra, these are exactly what I wanted. Like the hats, I have a good stash of extra material so that I can make more in the years to come when (or if) our family grows again.

BG is a little disappointed that the cats aren’t getting new stockings as well this year, but I decided to just keep our existing ones for them and go back to hanging them on the railing. The railing was really bare last year, so it gives me something pretty to put there. And since they won’t be with the others, I’m okay with them still being different for now. Again, I may go back to that when I have more time.

Next up… stocking holders!

1st Project Done: Santa Hats

I got the first item on my holiday project to do list finished!

Santa Hats
Santa Hats

There were quite a few trial and error tests I had to run on scrap fabric before I could get my final design worked out. I wanted these to be a good quality that would last a long time, so I decided to line them, which made using any kind of standard pattern almost impossible. I took ideas I found online, made lots of modifications, and came up with something that worked for what I wanted.

Once I got that nailed down, knocking these out didn’t take long at all.

I’m really pleased with these. They are so soft, too! And, I still have lots of material to store away for any additional ones that will need to be made over the years, so I estimated well on the fabric amount I needed.

Next up, I’m going to work on finding all the materials I need for my stocking holders, which looks to be harder than I’d originally thought, so that is going to be fun. I also have to finalize my design for the stockings themselves and get started on those.

Not too bad considering I just put together that to do list the other day!

A Stay Puft Halloween

I finally get to post it! This is the costume I made for BG to wear to ballet this week!

It is a tradition at the studio for all the ballet assistants to wear coordinating costumes the week of Halloween. They are supposed to be simple, usually just a dressed up tutu and maybe something for the hair or attached to their leotard. Last year, each girl was a different kind of candy (skittles, kitkat, M&M, etc.)

The theme this year was villains. Most of the girls went with Disney villains, but there are way more BA’s than there are recognizable Disney villains. BG was stuck for a bit on what she wanted to do, then jumped outside the box and picked the Stay Puft marshmallow man from Ghostbusters.

To make life easy, we bought the tutu and I made everything else. It was all really simple and I knocked it out in a day. The bib needed some puffy paint to get the letters and I really drug out my creative brain to make that little hat work in a way that it could sit next to her bun. I had enough material to toss in a matching mask as well.

BG ended up wearing different costumes throughout the week for her different classes. She did a streamlined Maleficent for one class and was a green M&M for another that had the t-shirt, a headband with a little stuffed M&M attached, and matching socks. The M&M class was the one she assisted and all her friends were also M&M’s, but different colors. It was so stinkin’ cute!! It’s hard to say which I liked the best, but I am really partial to this one, though I might be a bit biased.