I got them finished and they turned out really pretty. I had done the ribbon inserts last night, so all I had to do today was put them together. There are small things I’m not thrilled with, but I was sort of limited by what I was able to get. Working with the large ball hydrangea blooms also limited my options. Considering BG wanted the two different colors… well, it was an interesting challenge.
When we were looking at the flowers last night, I was really frustrated with the quality of my choices. I finally found the colors I wanted, but the one collection (the peachy hydrangea and the purple/white daisy), there were only two bunches and both had issues. In one, the daisies were perfect, but the hydrangea was a little… anemic looking. The other bunch was kind of the opposite. And… I needed to make two because I was making one for BG’s dance friend. I was really worried I wouldn’t be able to get two really nice ones out of what I got. Thankfully, the blue hydrangeas were sold individually and I had several to choose from, so that helped. So did the fact that everything filled out overnight after I got them out of their packaging and in water.
And yes, I did say the costumes were all various shades of blue, but two of those blues leaned towards the purple end, so that helped. It isn’t a perfect match, but I knew that wasn’t going to happen with these colors anyway and why I always do the ribbon inserts. I think I did okay.
Recital Bouquets 2019
Recital Bouquets 2019
Now I’m going to chill out until the kids get home and the whirlwind of getting everything packed up, hair and makeup done, then the race to get dinner eaten and us all out the door without losing my mind kicks in. And all of that is just the trial run because we have to do it all over again tomorrow for the recital.
Well, it’s almost showtime. I have to do recital bouquets first, which is what is on my to do list for the day. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a hard time finding flowers for a project. Granted, trying to create a bouquet that reflects this year’s costumes when the costumes all are some form of blue isn’t exactly the easiest thing in the world. I went to 3 different places last night before I found flowers that would work and that satisfied BG as I let her pick them out.
Now, to see if I can pull off arranging them in a way that doesn’t make it look like a disjointed mess. You’d think that after all the inspiration the pointe costume gave me this year, that it would be easy. Apparently trying to add in the others is blowing that creative streak.
I am knee deep in recital season and my weekends are going to be insane for the next couple of weeks. Today is the last ballet class and 3 rounds of pictures. I’ll be in and out of the studio at least 3 different times today. Next weekend is the big weekend with dress rehearsal and recital. I love this time of year with the gorgeous costumes and the amazing performances. At the same time, I hate how utterly crazy and rushed everything feels. So, I’ll be around, but not so much for the next couple of weekends.
When I offered to make recital bouquets for BG and her dance friend, I didn’t think twice about it and wasn’t even remotely worried about being able to pull them off. My only worry was going to be finding flowers in the colors that worked as I always try to coordinate with the costume colors. Since this year’s costumes were teal/black, amethyst/gold, and rosy pink, I knew it was going to be a challenge. I had no clue color wasn’t going to be my biggest problem.
It is officially recital weekend and I’m in crazy mode. Yesterday was all about running around and getting some last minute things taken care of (why it takes until last minute before she realizes she needs some of these kinda important things is beyond me). Today won’t be much better because I, again, managed to add another thing to my to do list when I offered to make the recital bouquets for BG and her dance friend.