Crunch Time: Countdown To MCG

I’ll be scarce for a while. I’m in major prep mode for MCG’s move.

The last several days I’ve:

Finished prepping the furniture for paint.
Painted the closet (so frickin’ glad I did, it was so nasty!)
Painted the ceiling where we had water get in.
Shampooed the carpet (again, so happy as it looks way cleaner.)
Am in the process of painting all that furniture.

I still have probably another day’s worth of painting left to do, then I have to set up all that furniture in approximately the places MCG is going to want it. It isn’t critical that I get it right as we will be moving it again pretty much right away because she is going to paint the walls when she gets here.

We talked about having me paint before she got here, but she really loves that kind of thing (is going to school to be an interior designer), so I’m just getting things ready so that is all she has to do to get her space ready. It’s probably good she is so excited about doing that because I’m going to be flat out burned out by the time she gets here, though I’ll be offering whatever assistance she wants or needs.

Thankfully, I’ll be able to get all of this done and have a couple of days to just chill before we have to go get her. I’m going to need a break after all of this, especially if I have any hope at all of having the motivation to finish my room after she gets settled in.

Phase One: Furniture Refinish

Originally, when I made the decision to paint the furniture in the room MCG is getting, I did it because I didn’t want the lighter wood finish and the dressers were plain enough I didn’t think they’d look good in a darker stain. I realized today, that staining this probably would have never been an option.

This is the furniture that OC had when they were still here. I spent nearly a day getting just these pieces cleaned up after they left, so I should have known they weren’t in awesome condition, but you don’t quite realize how bad they actually are until you start really working on them. There are so many deep dings and gouges that even a deep sanding probably wouldn’t have gotten a third of them out.

The other day, when I had to get another tub of wood filler, they only had a larger one. I was a little worried that with as little as I had left of the cabinets in the basement that it was going to be way too much. Now, I’m worried I won’t have any left to use on those cabinets as this has already taken half the tub and this is just round one.

I had hoped that I’d be able to just do a light sanding and some minor touch ups and be able to paint today. Sadly, this will need another good sanding (not even remotely light) and most likely another round of filler in the worst areas that I missed. There were so many places, it was impossible to see if I actually got them all. It kind of feels like I painted these in wood filler.

Seeing these does not give me a lot of warm feelings about tackling repainting the closet. Thankfully, I don’t care much about how that actually looks, I just want it to look mostly clean and not gross.

It is slower going than I’d hoped (how many times have I made a statement like that now?), but, it is a start. I managed to get the room and these cleared out over the weekend, so it is ready to work on as soon as I’ve got these with at least one coat of paint.

Upcoming Project: Ottoman Recover

We recently got new living room furniture.  The original plan was to completely replace all the old, but once we got the new all set up and arranged, I decided that I didn’t want to give up my old ottoman.  It is this big piece on wheels that is perfect for sharing and with all the new furniture being more modular with just a couple of chairs and a love seat, I really wanted to be able to have options.  Sadly, the old one not only didn’t go with the new, but it really looked bad because it was old and getting pretty thread bare in several places. Continue reading “Upcoming Project: Ottoman Recover”