Sorry for the not awesome photo. This was taken years ago and was only to ensure I had a photo of this. I made this angel as a gift so long ago I don’t even remember when. Based on what I see in the background, we were already in this house, so sometime in the last 15 years.
I have made 2 different versions of this. Both as gifts. One, I honestly thought I’d get back at some point because it was given to Hubby’s grandmother (it was also my best), but it disappeared along the way. No one could find it after she died.
I have since wanted to make other versions, maybe not even angels, but with a similar basis (really considered working on a fairy version). Sadly, after this last one, I haven’t been able to find the right head and hands set. Nothing I’ve run across is either the right size or the right look.
I have been really wanting to get creative lately, but haven’t come up with a project to work on. I’ve also really wanted to work with some clay, but it has to be a small enough project to fit in my small kiln. I just couldn’t come up with something I really wanted to make, so I never dug into it.
Sitting here this morning, my brain started thinking about the massive amounts of yarn I have, most left over from other projects and wondered if I could figure out something to do with it. Out of nowhere, I remembered these angels and started wondering if I could pull off making my own heads and hands. Specific ones that would fit the exact project plan for the modified crochet angels that I’ve been wanting to work on for years. Namely, a fairy head and hands.
The idea is so appealing that I think I’m going to attempt to tackle it. I don’t know how much, if any, time I’m going to have to work on it over the next few weeks, but I’m going to try. I have no clue how it will turn out as I’ll be working with clay and not the porcelain that these heads are normally made of, so it may not even work.
I think before I dig out the clay, I’m going to need to figure out a specific plan for the dress. The patterns I have probably won’t work quite right for a fairy, but I have ornaments that are in a similar style that could be fun to modify into a shorter skirt type of thing. I would also have to consider legs if I’m not going to do a full long skirt. I at least want a plan ready if the clay works as I hope.
Dang! The whole thing has me excited, but it is also massively ambitious (shock, I know!) I think I can handle the painting of the finished clay pieces, but I don’t know about a finished layer/glaze over the top because I wouldn’t want it to be glossy. That part may take some research. It also hinges heavily on whether or not the clay even turns out as I’m hoping it should.
The cool thing is that I really don’t need this to be Christmasy or to get it done in time for the holidays, so I don’t have a time frame it has to be done by. One thing is for sure. I’m intending on doing a lot more creative projects going into next year.