Seriously glad it is done, though. It was a blast and, for the most part, it came out really well. I was hoping to add more color, but with that base teal, it didn’t work out. I had several of the issues I kind of expected to have with some color bleeding and in not being able to use the pink or purple because it changed the color too drastically when I attempted to paint it on the base (looked more muddy than pretty).
I started by painting the whole thing a lighter version of the sky color I was going for. I realized really quickly that this ended up working in a similar way to my favorite drawing method, the eraser technique, where you put a base color down and either add more to go darker or remove color to go lighter (you can see a tiny bit of that on the left edge of the above photo).
I don’t love the tree silhouettes, but they aren’t total garbage. One of the issues I ran into is that my base fondant started to bubble on the bottom tier making my cake look like it isn’t level or that I jacked up the alignment on the top tier. It really isn’t. I didn’t notice until I was taking pictures, so it wasn’t something I could go back and fix.
Northern Lights Cake
Northern Lights Cake
Mostly, I’m thrilled with how this turned out. Even more so after BG finally got a look at it and saw what it was. She is kind of crazy over the northern lights like some teenage girls are over the latest boy band so when she saw this she went nuts. As far as she is concerned, I knocked this one out of the park.
I’ll be working on cake the next several days. BG decided that she really did want the pointe costume cake so I’m all in on working on it. It will be another ambitious project, but having done a costume cake twice now, I have some confidence that this will turn out pretty good. I don’t have to have this done until the first of next week, but BG has a shopping thing with a friend over the weekend and I need to get as much done before then as possible.
Today’s to do list:
Make up 2 batches of fondant
Make batch of royal icing
Use royal icing to make tiara (template already drawn and ready to go)
Work on more sequins pieces if I have time
Non-Cake To Do: Run through L’s proofread notes and make any changes. Since she said there really wasn’t much, I don’t think that is going to take a whole lot of time (fingers crossed). Get it ready and send off to Hubby for the final read through. ALMOST THERE!!
Between working on my edits and dealing with both myself and MC being sick, the last several days have been… fun. The whole not feeling great thing had me taking meds that wouldn’t let me sleep. As is so typical for me, my brain simply would NOT shut up in that situation. So, sitting there at 3 or 4 am wanting desperately to sleep, my crazy Muse pops her head up and points out that BG’s point costume this year (a romantic length for the first time ever instead of a stiff, flat tutu design) would make a stunning cake.