Today was fun.
Okay, it wasn’t really that bad. Just tedious and frustrating and tiring and messy.
The goal for today was to start on the replacement doors for the white cabinet. I decided to do the upper ones that have glass instead of a center panel first, just to get a feel for process. It really was a good place to start because I discovered all kinds of issues.
My router works great for doing the main groove that the center panels will sit it, but the bit that is supposed to cut the narrow piece that sits inside that groove is not consistent. At all. I ended up trying to pull off the same thing with my table saw.
That was a whole other ball of WAY too much. I had to take the normal guard off to be able to get my fence close enough to my blade for those really close, shallow cuts. This tripped my uncomfortable button, but I managed to work through it even though I was staring at a naked blade the entire time. It takes a lot of passes, but it is consistent. I’m not certain I love either process, but the table saw is the best one.
I got most of the parts for the new doors that will have the glass on them glued together. I still have to add the inside trim since there won’t be a center panel, but I need more of my clamps first (seeing a pattern here that means I really probably need to consider getting several more) and I will have to do some touch ups on the paint before I can attach the glass.
While it doesn’t look like I got much done today, I did learn a lot and I got confirmation that I was brilliant when I decided paint was the way to go because it is going to cover SO many mistakes and imperfections.
By the time I was done today, I was shedding a cloud of sawdust with every step, movement, or twitch and my whole body is yelling at me that I did too much today. I do feel pretty good about what I got done, though.