I have complained and whined and moaned, I can’t count how many times, about how much I despise water problems and/or plumbing. Seems my long bad streak when it comes to these things isn’t anywhere near being done.
I just replaced the kitchen faucet. Again. This will be the 5th one we’ve had in the 14 years we’ve been in this house. The last one only lasting less than six months before it decided it was a machine gun, not a faucet. That was before it decided to start leaking from the sprayer and under the sink, then refused to allow water to come out of the faucet at all and our only option was to remove the sprayer head from the hose, because even the damn sprayer head decided to say screw it, and tape the hose to the faucet so it wouldn’t act like an uncontrolled fire hose, dousing everything within a 15 foot range. Yes, we figured that out the hard way.
Part of why this is such a horrific problem is that the idiots that built our house left about a 3 inch gap between the sink and the wall and my sink is 9 inches deep. There just aren’t tools made to fit in such tight spaces, especially when you are talking multiple water lines all going through a single access point. I have really small hands and I can barely get my fingers around the nuts, let alone a tool.
The last time we replaced this (less than 6 months ago), I caved and had a plumber come out and do it. I was kind of pissed at how they handled the whole thing as they weren’t clear on what they would be doing or how much it would cost, but I was just glad someone else had to deal with it. I refused to do that again, especially so soon.
All complaining aside, this was the easiest plumbing project I think I have ever done. The new faucet came with a really cool tool that made my life about a thousand times easier installing this. That and all of the lines were nice and long and any attachments I needed to make were well below the bottom of the sink. The only hard attachment was securing the faucet to the counter, but the tool took care of that.
The hardest part was taking off the old one, but even that wasn’t so bad because I didn’t care if I damaged the thing as I took it apart. It was pretty much the only way I could get to the nuts to loosen them. I even said screw it and cut one of the supply lines in an effort to try and use the tool that came with the new faucet. It worked just enough to knock the one nut loose and I was able to do the rest by hand (so, those things really weren’t all that tight in the first place, makes me wonder about the job the plumbers did).
This is one thing off my mile long list of things I need to do. If the weather would just cooperate and act like spring instead of mid-winter, maybe I’d actually get motivated to work on a few of the others.