Little Bump

Giant Nutcracker Project - Base Painted Body Pt. 1

I got all of my major painting done (maybe), thank goodness! I’ve realized that I’m really not a fan of spray paint. I learned yet another new thing yesterday. It can trigger migraines. Yay.

While the majority of my painting went well, I had a couple of not so awesome moments. The first was on the body pieces. When I went to paint the central color, I realized that I really didn’t go deep enough into that area or thick enough with the red. I ended up with some of the bucket color bleeding through outside of my central blue paint. I also had some paint come off when I pulled my tape off. I managed to do some hand touch ups to clean them up and it works, so that wasn’t a horrible bump.

I did notice that one of them was off center (I’d planned on the handle holes for the buckets to be on the sides). I’m not sure yet if that will be an issue or what I’ll do if it is as it may mean I need to repaint that entire front. The biggest problem with that is that the red is a two layer thing with a red gloss base and a red glitter overlay, then to redo the blue. That means lost of painting, waiting to dry, paint some more, rinse and repeat at least a few times, and I REALLY need to be done with the spray paint. So, I’m not sure if that is a big bump or not yet because I don’t know if I can fudge that one.

When I went to paint a strip of my metallic on the lower portion of what will become the head, I hit a rather ugly bump. That one, the first coat of paint bubbled up and started to peal off when it got hit with the second layer. That portion is a pot that has something of a texture on it so I don’t know if I somehow left a coating of dust under the first layer of paint and it lifted when I hit it with the second or if it was an issue with the two different types of paints not reacting well. Needless to say I was pissed.

I now have to clean that whole section off both heads. I’d debated repainting, but I seriously hate that paint as it is the worst of the bunch being metallic. I remembered I’d gotten some duct tape that looks pretty much the same as the paint and I’m going to do a little cheating there, but I don’t have enough so I’ve got to make yet another trip to the store.

I realized that I never did figure out how I was going to pull of the nose so I didn’t have the pieces for that. I stopped on my way home from dropping BG off at school this morning and found something that will work, but I have yet cut and paint them. The effects of the paint about killed me yesterday and I’m just not feeling awesome today so I don’t know how much I’ll get done.

Assuming no other issues pop up, I should be just about ready to assemble. I still need to cut and paint the noses, get the remaining supplies I need, cover the lower portion of the head sections with the silver metallic tape and start to assemble. Hopefully.

Author: TJ Fox

I am a slightly sane artist, amateur photographer, book addict, wife, mom and raging introvert. I have more hobbies than I can count, so it is beyond shocking that I manage to find time to do any of them, let alone most of them and still have time to do anything else. Of all the talents I claim, writing wasn’t one of them until my muse dropped the idea for a book on my head.

One thought on “Little Bump”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.