I got started on the giant nutcrackers today. I wasn’t even 10 minutes into the project when I realized that the one part I thought I’d be able to re-purpose, the smaller PVC pipe, is the wrong size. *Sigh*
So this project that started with the idea I’d be able to use lots of things I already had on hand has turned into a project where every single thing I’m using had to be bought brand new. I can add one exception to that, though. I found some faux fur I’d had from a bear project I’d worked on several years ago that is going to work wonderfully for the hair. Positives. I’ll take whatever I can get.
So far, I’ve got the majority of the pieces painted with a main base coat (except what I don’t have). Once those are dry, I’m going to start the assembly process and do any clean up/finish work on the paint as I go along. You can get an idea of the general shape I’m going for if you look at the stack of buckets and pots in the picture. Obviously no legs or arms, but it shows the body shape at least.
My goal for today is to get as much of the painting and prep work done as possible including building the inside frame for the legs and base. I realized after I started painting that I really need to make sure stuff is dry before I start cutting on anything or I’m going to be getting dust stuck to the wet paint.
I’m taking photos along the way as well as keeping a list of materials and measurements. The plan is to do a full post with all of that for anyone that may be interested in attempting this.