I have a new project I’m getting ready to start. I’ve spent the last several days getting all the stuff I need and I’m about 90% there. I still have at least one more trip to a craft store and I’m waiting on an order delivery, then I can really dig in. The end goal is to have 2 giant nutcrackers, probably between 5 and 6 feet tall when all is said and done.
I’ve always wanted a couple of large ones, but they are crazy expensive. I’ve seen some lately that are in the $300 range, but they are not really well made and again, I want two. I have a very specific place I want to put them outside so they need to be able to handle the weather. After seeing a couple again this year, I finally got the bright idea to see how difficult it might be to make my own.
I poked around the internet for ideas and found a few, but the one that caught me was the one that used flower pots for the major body parts and PVC pipe for the arms and legs. Of course, one of the reasons I liked the idea so much was that I thought I’d be able to use some things I already had on hand, but turns out that sizing between the different parts were an issue and I didn’t have the right pots or pipe for most of it. I will be able to reuse some of the PVC I had used to make BG a ballet barre that she never used, but that is about all.
This is one of those projects where I’m wondering, now that I have almost all the stuff, if my ambition is going to outstrip my ability. I guess I’ll find out when I start working on it, hopefully tomorrow, but I’m not holding my breath as I’m still not feeling 100%. More than likely, I’ll get it started this week, but won’t finish up until next week after all the rest of my holiday decorating is done.